GROW WITH US AND BE YOUR BEST
Clark Wilson LLP is seeking an intermediate Accounting Clerk to join our accounting group. The ideal candidate will have previous experience in a professional office, preferably a law firm. This is a full time, permanent position and is ideal for anyone wanting to join a firm that takes pride in having a collegial working atmosphere, where growth and professional development are supported.
• Generate on demand and month-end pre-bill worksheets;
• Respond to inquiries of lawyers and assistants;
• Review bills for accuracy and post bills in accordance with firm policies;
• Load posted bills for archival or backup purposes;
• Process unbilled WIP write-offs in accordance with firm polices;
• Process AR write offs in accordance with firm policies; and
• Revised posted bills as instructed.
• Manual input of paper disbursements;
• Upload of electronic disbursements;
• Load or maintain posted disbursements for backup purposes; and
• Respond to inquiries of lawyers and assistants.
File Opening (vacation coverage)
• Perform conflict searches and generate results for lawyers and assistants; and
• Open clients and matters in accordance with firm policies.
Cash Receipts (Once weekly backup coverage)
• Apply and process payments received from clients and vendors. Payments are received in the form of cash, cheque, credit cards, wires and interbank transfer payments;
• Prepare bank deposits;
• Reconcile credit card payments and service charges;
• Written and verbal correspondence with clients, lawyers and staff to ensure proper allocation of payments; and
• Generate reports as requested and provide explanation as required.
General Ledger (monthly)
• Prepare monthly bank reconciliations for approximately 20 accounts (trust and general bank accounts) – reconcile bank accounts, prepare journal entries, resolve issues with financial institutions etc.;
• Reconcile prepaid expenses and prepare journal entries; and
• Prepare miscellaneous journal entries.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• At least 2 years of experience working in a billing capacity, preferably a law firm;
• Accurate keyboarding skills;
• Basic accounting skills;
• Strong technical skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Adobe, and CMS/Aderant Accounting software;
• Excellent command of the English language, written and spoken, for accurate data entry and conflict searches;
• The ability to handle stringent deadlines and work with a large volume of tasks, with interruptions;
• Excellent organizational skills, with exceptional attention to detail and ability to prioritize daily demands and month-end deadlines;
• The ability to exercise sound judgment, discretion, confidentiality, and adapt to changing demands;
• A client centered approach with the commitment to providing outstanding service;
• The ability to build rapport with the team, and provide support to solicitors, legal administrative assistants and paralegals; and
• The ability to work both independently, and as part of a large collegial team.
Clark Wilson is a thriving regional law firm that provides an excellent platform for business-minded professionals. We are consistently recognized by Canadian Lawyer as one of Western Canada’s top 10 regional firms most recently certified as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work® Institute Canada. Our firm is comprised of over 90 highly accomplished lawyers and 150 support staff. We are proud that our team includes a diverse range of backgrounds and experience, with a common dedication to responsive, thoughtful and comprehensive client service. Our clients count on us to achieve results and provide value quickly and efficiently. Our employees are instrumental in helping us to achieve these results. If you would like to be part of our team and are hardworking and goal driven – we want to hear from you!
BENEFITS WE OFFER
We offer a comprehensive salary and benefits package that is very competitive, together with opportunities for personal and professional growth. Our benefits include:
• a matching RRSP program;
• an annual education/tuition allowance;
• ongoing continuing education;
• flexible health and dental coverage;
• short and long term disability insurance;
• personal days to help balance outside commitments;
• employee assistant program;
• monetary incentive for employee referrals;
• casual day every Friday; and
• plenty of opportunity to get to know your co-workers during our various social events and treat days throughout the year.
See for yourself by checking out our Blog under our Culture section of our website.
HOW TO APPLY
Clark Wilson is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive compensation and a positive team working environment. We thank all applicants for their submissions, however, only those persons selected for an interview will be contacted.