Success is dictated by process. Well-laid plans prevail. Bavia brings this concept to accomplishing our clients’ goals with her business-minded approach to successful commercial real estate transactions.
Bavia is a national presence in the industry, having practiced at major national firms in Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary. While each city has its own corporate identity and culture, Bavia’s insight and experience allow her to comfortably navigate transactions across the country in a way that suits the style of counsel and clients in each of those markets.
Real estate investment trust
- The sale of a portfolio of assets in excess of $140 million
- Navigating a complicated commercial lease transaction of more than 160,000 sf.
World-leading construction company
- Worked on a $500 million P3 project in respect of the design, build, finance and maintain project in a hospital’s critical care unit
Representing clients on some of the largest commercial real estate transactions in Canada, Bavia has been recognized in Lexpert magazine’s “Big Deals.”
|Commercial leasing for office, retail and industrial assets||Domestic and cross-border financings|
|Acquisitions and dispositions||Development and infrastructure projects|
Bavia’s four years of experience as a litigator allow her to be a stronger solicitor. This creates an advantage for our clients because she identifies common issues raised in litigation and avoids those costly pitfalls when providing advice.
Having also worked in-house at one of the country’s largest real estate investment advisors as well as at a national commercial real estate brokerage, Bavia has unique insight into the nature of our clients’ businesses, the individuals that comprise them, their corporate culture and what they expect from service providers. This means that every day, on every transaction and in every conversation, Bavia can provide practical legal advice to meet diverse challenges, positions and budgets.
In addition to practicing law, Bavia is at the forefront of the advancement of women in business and mentors junior professionals. She believes that it is invaluable to have perspective about their role as leaders and lawyers. Bavia contributes to the industry in various ways, including:
- Providing governance assistance and advice to the Board of Urban Land Institute (ULI) (Alberta)
- Being a member of the Calgary chapter of Commercial Real Estate for Women (CREW) and serving on the membership committee of Vancouver CREW
- Participating as a panellist at the Calgary Real Estate Strategy & Leasing Conference
- Presenting at the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) Canadian Law Conference breakfast roundtables in Toronto
Bavia immigrated to Canada from South Africa. She appreciates the challenges of newcomers to Canada and dedicates her time to assisting that community with her involvement on the board of directors of the Calgary Bridge Foundation for Youth, a charitable not-for-profit that provides settlement services to immigrant and refugee youth.
Adaptability is Bavia’s nature. A principle that Bavia lives by is only she who attempts the impossible can achieve greatness. Her ability to adapt quickly, negotiate strongly and navigate complexity with an eye on the motivations of all parties to a transaction lends itself to reaching strategic solutions that provide our clients with business certainty.
Awards & Distinctions
- Lexpert magazine's "Big Deals"
- Lexpert Zenith Award for pro bono work for the Vancouver Hospice Society