In this age of intellectual property, the brand is the currency of power. It is the heart of a company’s connection with its customers, and it drives growth through goodwill and reputation. A strong, distinctive brand is essential to the success of our clients, and this is Kwan’s priority. He works to procure, protect and enforce the influential brands that position our clients as top competitors in the markets they serve.
Trade-mark advisor to world’s leading online retailer
- Conduct all aspects of Canadian trade-mark clearance, filing, registration, maintenance, and enforcement of trade-mark rights for the world’s leading online retailer
- Provide strategic international portfolio advice, and copyright advice
Trade-mark counsel for world’s leading search engine services provider
- Conduct all aspects of Canadian trade-mark clearance, filing, registration, maintenance and enforcement of trade-mark rights for the world’s leading search engine services provider
Advisor to family-owned, Vancouver-based Chinese bakery
- Advise a prominent local Chinese bakery on all aspects of their trade-mark needs, including the defense of their respected brand against a large, China-based conglomerate, through litigation at the Trademarks Opposition Board, Federal Court and Federal Court of Appeal
- As litigation counsel, assisted with pleadings, preparation of evidence, hearing preparation and organization, oral and written argument, and appellate records
- Used knowledge and understanding of Chinese language and culture to create persuasive arguments and refute claims advanced by the other side
A tenacious and dedicated nature makes Kwan a natural fit for practicing trademark law, which is grounded in the idea of competition. Taking tremendous pride in his work benefits our clients—because he recognizes that their business is their livelihood, and he takes protecting that livelihood seriously.
|Trademark clearance searches and opinions||Trademark filings and prosecution|
|Contentious trademark matters, including oppositions, cancellation proceedings, and litigation||Advising and consulting on contracts involving intellectual property, including licenses, assignments, and other commercial agreements|
|Business strategy relating to trademarks, including global portfolio management|
Working on both sides of the same coin, Kwan is a trademark solicitor and litigator. He has appeared before the Trademarks Opposition Board, Federal Court and Federal Court of Appeal. This creates an advantage for our clients because he can identify common issues raised in litigation and avoid those pitfalls when advising clients. In addition, Kwan’s experience as both a solicitor and litigator lends itself to reaching reasonable, strategic settlements that provide our clients with business certainty.
Our clients also benefit from Kwan’s fluency in Mandarin and ability to converse in Cantonese. He is experienced in assessing linguistic and cultural nuances, making it easier for our clients to navigate trademark issues in an international business community.
Kwan recognizes that the services our clients provide, and the products they create, have shaped and continue to shape our modern society. It is therefore a privilege, an inspiration and a pleasure for Kwan to act as an advocate for their businesses—their ideas, innovations and identity—so that they can continue enhancing our lives.Download PDF