GROW WITH US AND BE YOUR BEST
Clark Wilson LLP is seeking a Compliance Specialist and Internal Auditor. Reporting to the Director of Finance and Chief Operating Officer, this role is primarily accountable for various administrative functions related to conflicts, ethical walls and performing some internal audit functions as they pertain to lateral hires and new business. The successful candidate is also tasked with ensuring the required stages of the conflicts process are completed prior to file opening and performing the administrative functions for the creation and maintenance of ethical walls, as mandated by the Law Society of B.C.
This is a full-time, permanent position and is ideal for anyone wanting to join a firm that takes pride in having a collegial working atmosphere, where growth and professional development are supported.
- reviewing conflict searches and business intake review prior to onboarding potential clients
- reviewing file openings in conjunction with Client Identification or Verification as mandated by the Law Society of B.C.
- reviewing file lists from lateral lawyers coming from other law offices to ensure conflict compliant
- setting up ethical walls as mandated by the Law Society of B.C. for both lateral hires and newly opened files
- implementing trust guidelines and setting up best practices governing practice management, in conjunction with the rules of the Law Society of B.C.
- acting as the point of contact internally for all questions pertaining to compliance and conflicts
- coordinating compliance based communications and training internally
- under the guidance of leadership conduct compliance audits, periodic compliance reviews and ad-hoc audits
- preparing and compiling audit & compliance reports
- assisting with file closing and destruction of physical and electronic files
- general administrative duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- 2 to 3 years of experience in a compliance or legal role;
- solid understanding of the law, duties and regulations of a lawyer/client relationship
- knowledge of conflict of interest process and principles with the ability to conduct conflict of interest searches and exercise good judgement to resolve related issues
- bachelor’s degree or diploma
- strong technical skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Adobe, and BC Online
- excellent verbal and written communications skills
- excellent organizational skills and, attention to detail
- the ability to prioritize a high volume of tasks and competing priorities
- a client centered approach with the commitment to providing outstanding service
- the ability to follow instructions and adhere to strict deadlines
- dedicated to providing service beyond expectation; and
- the ability to exercise sound judgment, discretion and, confidentiality, and to adapt to changing demands.
Clark Wilson is a thriving regional law firm that provides an excellent platform for business-minded professionals. We are consistently recognized by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and Best Lawyers® Canada for professional excellence.
Clark Wilson is proud to be recognized as a Best Workplace™ in both British Columbia and Canada, as well as the following distinct categories–
- Best Workplace™ for Professional Services
- Best Workplace™ for Women in the Workplace
- Best Workplace™ for Mental Wellness
- Best Workplace™ for Giving Back
Our firm is comprised of over 100 highly accomplished lawyers and 180 support staff. We are proud that our team includes a diverse range of backgrounds and experience, with a common dedication to responsive, thoughtful, and comprehensive client service. Our clients count on us to achieve results and provide value quickly and efficiently. Our employees are instrumental in helping us to achieve these results. If you would like to be part of our team and are hardworking and goal-driven – we want to hear from you!
BENEFITS WE OFFER
We offer a comprehensive salary and benefits package that is very competitive, together with opportunities for personal and professional growth. Our benefits include:
- a matching RRSP program;
- an annual education/tuition allowance;
- ongoing continuing education;
- flexible health and dental coverage;
- health spending account;
- maternity and parental leave top-up;
- short and long term disability insurance;
- personal days to help balance outside commitments;
- employee assistance program;
- monetary incentive for employee referrals;
- day off with pay after first anniversary;
- casual day every Friday; and
- plenty of opportunities to get to know your co-workers during our various social events and treat days throughout the year.
See for yourself by checking out our Blog under the Culture section of our website.
HOW TO APPLY
Please visit our website to find out more about Clark Wilson (www.cwilson.com). You can apply for this position here or by directing your resume to Tiej Dapp, Manager of Legal Support Services and Staff Recruitment.
Clark Wilson is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive compensation and a positive team working environment. We thank all applicants for their submissions, however, only those persons selected for an interview will be contacted.