Professional Development Manager – Student and Associate Programs
Reporting to the Director of Professional Development, the Manager of Student and New Lawyer Programs manages all aspects of Clark Wilson’s student recruitment program and oversees the professional development of articling students and new associates (1-3 years). The Manager works closely with the PD Coordinator, the Student Recruiting Committee, and the Student Partner.
KEY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Act as the key contact for CW’s articling student recruiting program
- Support and act upon directives from the Student Recruiting Committee
- Maintain good working relationships with law school CSOs, law student associations and the wider law firm recruiting network
- Manage all events relating to law students, e.g. law school firm tours, career fairs, panel presentations.
- Manage and participate in on-campus and in-firm interviews and in the hiring process
- Prepare and manage the student recruiting budget
Integrate students and new lawyers
- Connect new students and newly-hired associates with the appropriate CW supports
- Program and run Onboarding School for summer students and articling students
- Program and manage the Associate Transition Program for new lawyers (1-3 years)
- Create and update online resources for students and new lawyers to help them learn about how we do things
Oversee student and new lawyer development
- Coach students and new lawyers to support their success
- Program and/or support learning programs targeting students and new lawyers
- With the Student Partner, run the student review and hireback process and deal with other student issues that arise (e.g. workflow)
- Assist new lawyers with their transitional career plans and workflow issues
- With the Director of PD, manage the mentoring program as it relates to new associates
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND QUALITIES
- Post-secondary degree
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of new graduate recruitment in BC
- Experience in a law firm or professional services firm
- Able to work flexible hours and travel within Canada on occasion (1-2 nights max per trip)
- Business coaching certification is an asset
- Collaborate and connect with people of all types, at all levels
- Communicate effectively, including active listening, persuasive speaking, and persuasive writing
- Manage multiple clients and deadlines
Clark Wilson is a thriving regional law firm that provides an excellent platform for business-minded professionals. We are consistently recognized by Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and Best Lawyers® Canada for professional excellence.
Clark Wilson is proud to be recognized as a Best Workplace™ in both British Columbia and Canada, as well as the following distinct categories –
- Best Workplace™ for Professional Services
- Best Workplace™ for Women in the Workplace
- Best Workplace™ for Mental Wellness
- Best Workplace™ for Giving Back
Our firm is comprised of over 100 highly accomplished lawyers and 160 support staff. We are proud that our team includes a diverse range of backgrounds and experience, with a common dedication to responsive, thoughtful, and comprehensive client service. Our clients count on us to achieve results and provide value quickly and efficiently. Our employees are instrumental in helping us to achieve these results. If you would like to be part of our team and are hardworking and goal-driven – we want to hear from you!
BENEFITS WE OFFER
We offer a comprehensive salary and benefits package that is very competitive, together with opportunities for personal and professional growth. Our benefits include:
- a matching RRSP program;
- an annual education/tuition allowance;
- ongoing continuing education;
- flexible health and dental coverage;
- health spending account;
- short and long term disability insurance;
- personal days to help balance outside commitments;
- employee assistance program;
- monetary incentive for employee referrals;
- day off with pay after one year anniversary;
- casual day every Friday; and
- plenty of opportunities to get to know your co-workers during our various social events and treat days throughout the year.
See for yourself by checking out our Blog under the Culture section of our website.
HOW TO APPLY
Please visit our website to find out more about Clark Wilson (www.cwilson.com). You can apply for this position here or by directing your resume to Sherri Fostvelt, Director of Human Resources.
Clark Wilson is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive compensation and a positive team working environment. Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.