Named in numerous publications and annual rankings as among the “Best Places to Live”, Vancouver is one of the most dynamic cities in the world, bringing forth unparalleled opportunity and competition both locally and globally. Chris embraces this enterprising spirit, helping our clients thrive in this hypercompetitive and ever-changing real estate market by creating proactive strategies that manage risks while optimizing opportunities for favourable outcomes.
Chris specializes in providing timely and practical advice to a wide-ranging client base with interests in the commercial real estate sector. These clients include:
- Real estate developers of residential, commercial, hospitality, leisure, retail and industrial projects
- Institutional clients undertaking complex and large-scale infrastructure, transportation, utility and natural resource transactions and ongoing developments in industries such as hydroelectricity, liquefied natural gas, pipelines and mining
Chris’s expansive experience with advising a broad spectrum of clients allows him to present a multifaceted view and specialized insight. This is especially important given the unique legal challenges and market opportunities present throughout British Columbia.
- Advised a leading mining company on the $1.2 billion sale and lease-back of its interest in a hydroelectric facility
- Advised a major Canadian railway on the $55 million sale of its urban railway corridor to the City of Vancouver
- Advised the developer of a 258-unit mixed-use residential/retail development in North Vancouver, including acquisition, financing, construction financing and development approvals
Fortunate to have called British Columbia home throughout his life, Chris appreciates the important relationship and community-building role that real estate development plays in the lives of British Columbians. An example of this is the recent transformation the Arbutus Corridor rail line in the City of Vancouver into an accessible greenway, in which Chris advised the seller to the City of Vancouver. Today, this Arbutus Greenway provides thousands of people, including Chris and his family, the opportunity to safely walk and bike from False Creek to the Fraser River, all while enjoying the unmatched scenery that Vancouver has to offer.
|Acquisitions and dispositions of commercial properties, including development sites and income properties, as well as the purchase and sale of businesses for which property is integral||Commercial leases for landlords and tenants of office, retail, hospitality, commercial, and industrial properties|
|Negotiation and preparation of purchase agreements and development agreements, including easements, statutory rights of way, and covenants||Development, land use, municipal law, rezoning and subdivision|
|Investment properties and joint ventures||Mixed-use, multi-residential and condominium projects|
|Real estate financing|
Regardless of the project scope and size, Chris takes a hands-on approach with clients at all stages, from initial discovery, risk assessment and due diligence through to financing, acquisition, subsequent rezoning, subdivision and development approvals. This methodical approach allows clients to better understand and appreciate the risks and market forces present at each phase, aiding in their decision-making process and in the project’s overall success.
Whether institutional clients seasoned in the commercial real estate sector or a relative newcomer to the competitive marketplace, our clients trust Chris’s experience and steady hand. His ability to continually evaluate objectives and adjust to evolving conditions allows our clients to weather challenges and realize the tangible benefits from their commercial real estate transactions.
Awards & Distinctions
- Best Lawyers in Canada, Real Estate Law, 2021-2024