Every year, well over 20,000 people move to Vancouver, creating a need for spaces in which to live and work. Combined with the geographical constraints of our region, the constant influx creates challenges and opportunities for the industry.
Darren, along with the commercial real estate group he has chaired for many years, is an integral part of helping our clients face challenges and capitalize on opportunities, playing a key role in creating communities.
- Acted for TELUS in 2018 sale of iconic TELUS Garden office and retail complex in downtown Vancouver
Pearson Dogwood Lands
- $300+ million sale by Vancouver Coastal Health of 25-acre Pearson Dogwood Lands on Cambie Street in Vancouver
- Arrangements for replacement health facilities to be constructed and transferred back in the future
- $250 million purchase by Blackwood Partners of office tower and shopping centre complex in Surrey
- Ongoing operations and future redevelopment
Darren is a problem solver. This is just one of the advantages he brings from practicing in the same area for over 30 years. He has the ability to identify issues and provide strategic recommendations for our clients.
|Acquisitions and dispositions of income properties||Residential, retail, office, industrial, hotel and mixed-use development|
|Public-private partnerships||Seniors housing|
|Strata liquidation for re-development||Conventional, strata and air space subdivision|
Darren works collaboratively with our clients and develops innovations that recognize their needs, addressing issues from a business perspective in an industry defined by change and growth. Examples of these innovations include:
- Working with clients to implement alternative fee arrangements, where appropriate, as well as utilizing the training and ongoing education that Darren has pursued in the area of legal project management
- Designing the legal structure for BC’s first campus-of-care-style development—a one part housing, one part healthcare arrangement—which helps seniors stay at home, comfortable and close to loved ones for as long as possible
- Developing and implementing a co-development model for UBC Properties Trust, facilitating the creation of on-campus housing ownership opportunities for university faculty and staff
Darren’s experience across a broad range of clients allows him to understand each unique business. He provides smart, strategic legal work that brings success to our clients’ projects in the communities and markets they serve.
Awards & Distinctions
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®, Consistently Recommended, Property Development, 2010-2021
- Canadian Lexpert-Ranked Lawyer®, Canada’s Leading Infrastructure Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in Canada, Real Estate Law, annually since 2016
- Chambers Canada, Real Estate, 2019