One look at today’s most successful businesses and organizations, and it is easy to see what they have in common: access and networks that allow them to connect with markets and people that promote growth and opportunities.
Over the course of Lyall’s career, he has been a leader in British Columbia’s business, government, advanced education and philanthropic communities, and he has built a broad legal practice alongside strong relationships with other such leaders. As a result, Lyall uniquely provides our clients with the access and resources they need to succeed.
Today, the clients that Lyall works with are among the very best in their fields, including banking, real estate, retail, transportation, public companies, charities, construction, post-secondary education, public infrastructure, and technology, as well as family and private businesses with a range of interests here at home and around the world.
With his robust personal and business network, Lyall leads our clients to compete in British Columbia’s corporate community by connecting them with opportunities and legal solutions.
|Business structuring||Share and asset purchase and sale transactions|
|Debt and equity financing||Shareholder, partnership, owner, joint venture and other strategic alliance agreements|
|Estate Planning and Estate Administration||Charities and Not-For-Profit Organizations|
|Business succession, including management and employee buyouts||Private equity investments|
|Corporate governance, including disputes and director liability issues||General contracts, including purchase and sale, supply, distribution, licensing, leasing and manufacturing agreements|
Quite simply, Lyall is someone whom clients can call on to connect law, industry, government and people in order to drive their business. As a result, his clients count on him as a trusted advisor and advocate for their interests.
As a Queen’s Counsel and recipient of both the Commonwealth Medal for the Queen’s Golden Jubilee and the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, Lyall recognizes that his profession and practice provide him with numerous public service opportunities that allow him to put the strength of his business and personal connections to work for the community and country.
For more than 30 years, Lyall has worked on behalf of such prominent organizations as the University of British Columbia, Vancouver Airport Authority, Rick Hansen Foundation, Canadian Armed Forces, Salvation Army, Expo 86, Royal Roads University, Vancouver Port Corporation and the International Joint Commission. He also serves as the Honourary Consul General for Tunisia.
Lyall’s practice lends itself to contributing to Vancouver and Canada’s business and greater communities. He provides clients and community members with in-depth knowledge of finance, law and business to help them succeed in an ever-changing, and sometimes challenging, world.
Awards & Distinctions
- Commonwealth Medal for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, 2012
- Medal of Merit for outstanding citizenship, the highest award given by Lions International to a non-Lion, 2003
- Appointed to the rank of Queen's Counsel, Canada, 1985
- Rick Hansen Foundation - "Lyall Knott BC Neurotrauma Professorship Endowment"
- Commonwealth Medal for the Queen's Golden Jubilee, 2002
- Canadian Commissioner, International Joint Commission, 2009 to 2013
- Inaugural Fellow of Royal Roads University, 2009
- Honourary Captain (N), Canadian Fleet Pacific, Royal Canadian Navy, 2008 to 2014
- Blythe Eagles Service Award, UBC Alumni Association, in recognition of contributions to the Alumni Association, 2000
- Honourary Consul for the Republic of Tunisia in British Columbia, 1993
- Citizen, Metis Nation, British Columbia
- Honourary Member, HMCS BYTOWN
- Honourary Member, The Naval Officers Association of British Columbia