We advise all parties in the construction chain on a wide range of procurement and construction-related legal matters and during all stages of a project: from procurement and tendering issues, through design development, to construction management and resolution of disputes. Our clients are involved in all manner of infrastructure and construction projects, including transportation, healthcare, higher learning, water treatment, residential, industrial and commercial developments.
We have depth on our team – both in terms of people (partners and associates) and experience.
Our approach to disputes (if it comes to that), whether on behalf of the owner, contractor, supplier or project funder, is practical and economical, and includes advice on claims arising in the tendering and procurement process and claims for extras and delays, breach of trust, pre-judgment remedies and post-judgment collection. We tailor our advice to fit the circumstances, including the availability of builders’ lien claims, bonding and other performance assurance and any particular legislative regime which may be relevant to the project in question.
University of British Columbia and UBC Properties Trust
- Dozens of construction and procurements projects and assignments. We maintain a suite of construction and procurement templates for UBC and UBC Properties Trust
University of Victoria
- Student Housing, Science building, Social Sciences building
Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- Cloverdale Trades and Technology Centre, Surrey Campus expansions, Chip and Shannon Wilson School of Design, Richmond Campus Refurbishment
- Requests for expressions of interest (RFEIs), requests for qualifications (RFQs), requests for proposals (RFPs) and tender documents
- Advice on fairness and conflicts of interest
- Finance issues, including structuring and direct agreements with project lenders
- Multilateral funding agreements for publicly funded projects
- Claims by unsuccessful bidders
- Contracts with architects, engineers and other consultants
- Stipulated sum contracts, design-build contracts and hybrid contracts
- Construction management contracts, including CCDC5A and CCDC5B and CCDC17
- Construction bonds
- Insurance coverage
- Claims for extras and delays
- Lien claims
- Public Private Partnerships (P3s)