The success of a company is dependent on a number of aspects, but financing, strategy and experience is imperative for consistent growth. With nearly three decades of experience advising clients on complex, mission-critical transactions and risk management, Craig brings this trifecta to life when representing his clients.
Craig has an innate ability to understand his clients’ needs, and effectively and efficiently help them achieve their objectives. By taking the time to learn about their business, he can better advocate for their interests. Craig understands the importance of finding solutions rather than simply identifying the issues.
- $140 million restructuring and leveraged buyout of a private family-owned business as part of a succession planning exercise
- An Alberta-based pharmacy retail chain of 35 stores regarding complex corporate governance, restructuring and M&A matters
- A private oil and gas exploration and production company in connection with incorporating and organizing the corporation, completing a $440 million private equity funding led by two major Calgary and Houston-based private equity investors, and ongoing corporate governance and M&A advice
When Craig’s clients seek his advice, it often involves high-stake transactions, resolving deadlocks or corporate governance challenges. Craig’s approach is calm, thoughtful and strategic. This helps to get the team focused, mitigate any tension and stress for his clients, so that everyone may work towards a timely and effective outcome.
On several occasions, Craig has been sought after by a client after the completion of a transaction in which he was on the adverse side of the table. This is a testament to his experience, strategic insights, problem solving and natural ability to empower his clients.
|Public and private M&A transactions||Initial and secondary public offerings|
|Private equity and venture capital transactions||Corporate governance|
|Domestic cross-border M&A transactions||Creative corporate restructurings|
|Going-private transactions||Proxy contests, shareholder requisitions and director disputes|
With an undergraduate degree in music, Craig’s passion for music has been influential throughout his career. It has taught him the importance of creating a well-rounded working environment – one in which he can provide legal advice at an intensive level while keeping a grounded perspective and enjoying the small things around him, like trail-running in Stanley Park.
Awards & Distinctions
- Best Lawyers in Canada (2019-2020) in Private Equity Law and Leveraged Buyouts
- IFLR (International Financial Law Review) 1000 (2020 / 2019 / 2018 / 2017) – Highly regarded lawyer in M&A and Equity Capital Markets
- Acritas Stars (2020 / 2019 / 2018 / 2017) – Designated as an "Independently rated star lawyer”, nominated by senior in-house counsel clients
- IFLR 1000 (2015) – Leading lawyer in Financial and Corporate