The success of a company is dependent on a number of aspects, but financing, strategy and experience is imperative for consistent growth. With nearly three decades of experience advising clients on complex, mission-critical transactions and risk management, Craig brings this trifecta to life when representing his clients.
Craig has an innate ability to understand his clients’ needs, and effectively and efficiently help them achieve their objectives. By taking the time to learn about their business, he can better advocate for their interests. Craig understands the importance of finding solutions rather than simply identifying the issues.
- Counsel to the Special Committee of the board of directors of Alcanna Inc. in connection with its proposed $346M acquisition by Sundial Growers Ltd. TSX-listed Alcanna is Canada’s largest private sector liquor retailer operating 171 locations predominantly in Alberta. Alcanna’s strategic partner, in which it holds an approximately 63% equity interest, TSX-listed Nova Cannabis Inc, is one of Canada’s largest cannabis retailers. Sundial is a NASDAQ-listed licensed producer that crafts and cultivates small-batch cannabis using state-of-the-art indoor facilities in Canada.
- BevCanna Enterprises Inc. in its proposed acquisition of Embark Health Inc.; BevCanna is an emerging beverage industry leader operating a diversified health and wellness beverage and natural products business. Embark is a leader in solventless cannabis extraction and enhanced delivery technology, with a focus on the formulation and production of products for the B2B, medical, and adult-use markets.
- WELL Health Technologies’ $266.3 million acquisition of MyHealth Partners, an Ontario-based specialty care, telehealth and diagnostic health services provider. WELL Health is an omni-channel digital healthcare company focused on consolidating and modernizing clinical and digital assets within the healthcare sector in Canada and the United States.
When Craig’s clients seek his advice, it often involves high-stake transactions, resolving deadlocks or corporate governance challenges. Craig’s approach is calm, thoughtful and strategic. This helps to get the team focused, mitigate any tension and stress for his clients, so that everyone may work towards a timely and effective outcome.
On several occasions, Craig has been sought after by a client after the completion of a transaction in which he was on the adverse side of the table. This is a testament to his experience, strategic insights, problem solving and natural ability to empower his clients.
|Public and private M&A transactions||Initial and secondary public offerings|
|Private equity and venture capital transactions||Corporate governance|
|Domestic cross-border M&A transactions||Creative corporate restructurings|
|Going-private transactions||Proxy contests, shareholder requisitions and director disputes|
With an undergraduate degree in music, Craig’s passion for music has been influential throughout his career. It has taught him the importance of creating a well-rounded working environment – one in which he can provide legal advice at an intensive level while keeping a grounded perspective and enjoying the small things around him, like trail-running in Stanley Park.
Awards & Distinctions
- Best Lawyers in Canada (2019-2020) in Private Equity Law and Leveraged Buyouts
- IFLR (International Financial Law Review) 1000 (2020 / 2019 / 2018 / 2017) – Highly regarded lawyer in M&A and Equity Capital Markets
- Acritas Stars (2020 / 2019 / 2018 / 2017) – Designated as an "Independently rated star lawyer”, nominated by senior in-house counsel clients
- IFLR 1000 (2015) – Leading lawyer in Financial and Corporate