As a born-and-bred Vancouverite, James is passionate about the development of Vancouver and of British Columbia.
Throughout his life, James has followed closely the transition of metropolitan Vancouver from a “village by the sea,” economically based on resource extraction, to one of the most livable cities in the world with a varied economic base.
Ever since he was young, James has been interested in subways and roads, trains and planes, buildings and bridges and how everything works together to support people, goods and business. This passion has formed his career, which has been focused on commercial real estate, both in private business and legal practice, for over 30 years. He was a senior executive in the real estate industry for 10+ years and has practiced law in the real estate sector for 20+ years. In doing so, James has earned a varied and cross-disciplinary experience. This duality allows him to better help our clients, implementing practical and grounded legal solutions that advance their business goals in the transactions and developments that help build our city. This experience has given James the ability to understand the opportunities, priorities and challenges that our clients juggle from the inside.
As the Managing Partner of our firm, James leads our team of determined lawyers who serve our clients with efficient and effective solutions. He draws on his business and legal experiences to help the firm grow the businesses and meet the needs of our diverse and dynamic clients who span an array of business sectors in BC, Canada and in the United States.
Sunstone Realty Advisors Inc.
- Established 10 multi-million dollar private real estate funds, which raised nearly $400 million in syndicated private equity
- Acted as lead real estate counsel in the acquisition over six years of a portfolio of 58 Canadian real estate properties having an acquisition cost of over $1 billion, including negotiating purchases, drafting purchase and sale agreements and supervising all matters relating to closing purchase and sale transactions
Pure Industrial Real Estate Trust
- Counsel in connection with formation of the REIT and its initial public offering in 2007 and subsequent public offerings totaling over $800 million
- Real estate counsel in connection with the establishment of its Western Canadian property portfolio valued at over $500 million
- PIRET was sold in May, 2018 in a transaction valued at $3.8 billion
Pure Multi-Family REIT LP
- Counsel in connection with its initial public offering and subsequent offerings totaling over US$450 million
- Former member of the Board of Directors and Audit and Governance Committees
- Secretary to the Board of Directors
James enjoys working with people and companies who share his passion.
James has worked to establish and build businesses in BC for over three decades. He is sought by business executives for planning corporate strategies and legal initiatives that impact the business community. He is a member of the British Columbia Business Council Board of Governors and the BCBC / BCAFN Champions Table.
|Matching equity with real estate||Private real estate investment trusts|
|Residential, mixed use and commercial projects||Publicly-traded real estate investment trusts|
|Syndicated limited partnerships and mortgages||Mortgage trusts|
|Public company debt structures||General business advice for entrepeneurial and growing companies|
|Mortgage investment corporations|
A life-long British Columbian, James is passionate about the city, the region and the province, their business community and their residents. He brings the same dedication to serving our clients that our clients bring to operating their businesses. He helps companies accomplish their goals so that they can grow, compete and succeed in the markets they serve.
Awards & Distinctions
- Best Lawyers in Canada, Real Estate Law, 2019