As a born-and-bred Vancouverite, James is passionate about Vancouver’s development. Ever since he was young, he has been interested in subways and roads, trains and planes, buildings and bridges and how everything works together to support people, goods and business.
Throughout his life, James has followed closely the transition of metropolitan Vancouver from a “village by the sea,” economically based on resource extraction, to one of the most livable cities in the world with a varied economic base.
This passion has formed his career, which has been focused on commercial real estate, both in private business and legal practice, for over 30 years. He was a senior executive in the real estate industry for 10+ years and has practiced law in the real estate sector for 20+ years. In doing so, James has earned a varied and cross-disciplinary experience. This duality allows him to better help our clients, implementing practical and grounded legal solutions that advance their business goals in the transactions and developments that help build our city.
James enjoys working with people and companies who share his passion.
Sunstone Realty Advisors Inc.
- Established 10 multi-million dollar private real estate funds, which raised nearly $400 million in syndicated private equity
- Acted as lead real estate counsel in the acquisition over six years of a portfolio of 58 Canadian real estate properties having an acquisition cost of over $1 billion, including negotiating purchases, drafting purchase and sale agreements and supervising all matters relating to closing purchase and sale transactions
Pure Industrial Real Estate Trust
- Counsel in connection with its initial public offering and subsequent offerings totaling over $800 million
- Real estate counsel in connection with the establishment of its Western Canadian property portfolio, including the acquisition of the four-property Richmond business park for $170 million in 2012 and 2016
- Have acted as ex-officio Secretary to the Board of Trustees
Pure Multi-Family REIT LP
- Counsel in connection with its initial public offering and subsequent offerings totaling over US$200 million
- Member of the Board of Directors
- Member of the Audit Committee
As lead counsel in establishing over a dozen multi-million dollar private and public real estate funds, James has acted on over 30 initial and follow-on public offerings, which have raised over $1.8 billion dollars in investor equity and acquired over $3.5 billion in assets.
|Matching equity with real estate||Private real estate investment trusts|
|Residential, mixed use and commercial projects||Publicly-traded real estate investment trusts|
|Syndicated limited partnerships and mortgages||Mortgage trusts|
|Public company debt structures||General business advice for entrepeneurial and growing companies|
|Mortgage investment corporations|
James’ primary focus is matching real estate opportunities with investor capital for our clients. This requires a strong background in the business and legal aspects of real estate combined with a vigorous knowledge of securities law and regulation as well as the income tax aspects of real estate investment. In addition to his legal practice, James cultivated this robust background through his senior executive positions with two leading real estate development companies:
- Anthem Properties Inc.
- Served as senior business executive for seven years from start-up to public listing to going private, during which time the company raised over $100 million in syndicated private investor equity and completed a public listing on the TSX with an associated $35 million private placement and the issuance of $36 million in equity on the initial IPO and built a $500 million portfolio of real estate in Canada and the United States
- Pennyfarthing Development Corp.
- Served as Executive Vice President of privately-held real estate development company for four years, during which the company completed several high-rise condominium projects in Vancouver, developed, owned and operated two high-rise retirement communities in Bellevue, WA and Las Jolla, CA and completed townhouse and subdivision projects in metropolitan Vancouver
This experience gives James the ability to understand the opportunities, priorities and challenges that our clients juggle from the inside.
Energetic people who strive for success inspire James. As the Managing Partner of our firm, James leads our team of determined lawyers who serve our clients with efficient and effective solutions. He draws on his experience to grow the businesses and meet the needs of our diverse and dynamic clients who span an array of business sectors in BC, Canada and in the United States.
James has worked to establish and build businesses in BC for over three decades. He is sought by business executives for planning corporate strategies and legal initiatives that impact the business community. He is a member of the Regional Transportation and Infrastructure Committee of the Greater Vancouver Board of Trade.
A life-long Vancouverite, James is passionate about the city, the region and the province, their business community and their residents. He brings the same dedication to serving our clients that our clients bring to operating their businesses. He helps companies accomplish their goals so that they can grow, compete and succeed in the markets they serve.