Parking. Privacy. People. Pets. Protection. With 43 years of experience, Pat helps strata corporations and property managers tackle it all with practical legal solutions that meet community living needs.
Lum v. Strata Plan VR519
- Won in a BC Supreme Court decision that is the foundation for the factors to be considered in order for the administrator of a strata to be appointed by the court.
Aviawest Resort Club v. Chevalier Tower Property Inc.
- Won appeal as counsel in a BC Court of Appeal decision that found an administrator cannot act contrary to the democratic requirements of the Strata Property Act.
Chan v. Strata Plan VR667
- Won in a BC Supreme Court decision that dictated the subjective and objective factors that are to be applied when determining whether a change in the appearance or use of common property is sufficiently significant to trigger a ¾ vote approval of the strata.
Representing 4000+ strata corporations, chairing their meetings and providing expert legal advice, Pat manages expectations and leads negotiations to reach the best possible outcome for all parties.
|Assisting strata corporations, strata councils and developers with dispute resolution.||Arbitration and mediation of strata property, real estate and construction disputes|
|Providing advice in relation to strata governance||Insurance deductibles|
|Defending or suing a supplier of goods or services in relation to contractual disputes||Owner disputes|
|Defending strata corporations||Bylaw enforcement proceedings, including noise, parking, pets, vandalism, security, privacy and more|
|Bylaw and resolution reviews and drafting||Contract reviews and drafting|
|Finance-related issues, such as budgets, fees and funds|
Pat is regarded as an objective voice of reason in resolving the people and business issues inherent to strata communities. He is involved in the evolution of strata law and the legislation that governs strata corporations. This includes:
- Being a member of the Province of British Columbia Advisory Group on dispute resolution under the Strata Property Act, which resulted in development of the Civil Resolution Tribunal (CRT). Pat served as an inaugural member of the CRT, which provides easy access to legal information and alternative dispute resolution services for small claims and strata-related issues
- Contributing to the BC Law Institute’s Strata Property Reform Project, working diligently as chair with committee members to address major strata property issues. An example of their work includes amending the Strata Property Act to make it more accessible to dissolve strata corporations. This amendment was introduced in the legislature in October 2015
- Served on the Editorial Board of the CLEBC Strata Practice Manual
- Serving as past President of the Board of Directors/Trustees for the British Columbia International Commercial Arbitration Centre
- Served as a member, as well as President (2000-2001), of the Board of Directors for the BC Arbitration and Mediation Institute
- Frequently contributing to the Canadian Bar Association (CBA) and the Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia (CLEBC) as a volunteer instructor, presenter and author
- Volunteering for many years as a guest mediation instructor for the Law Society of British Columbia’s Professional Legal Training Course
- Volunteering in committee capacities and frequently as a guest presenter to many professional bodies, including the Professional Association of Managing Agents, the Strata Property Agents of BC and the Condominium Home Owners Association
This active role in helping shape and define the law allows Pat to better serve our clients. His resolutions are derived from direct experience and grounded in forethought, creativity, reason and applicability.
Pat believes in commitment, conviction and character, all of which guide his work developing and implementing decision and support tools to improve strata law, alternative dispute resolution practices and, in turn, help strata corporations and property managers in their mandate to strengthen, protect and preserve their strata communities.
Awards & Distinctions
- Queen's Scout
- Best Lawyers in Canada, Real Estate Law, 2021-2024