The laws that govern strata communities affect how and where people live and work together on a daily basis. Our lawyers have seen a myriad of human and legal issues that arise in the communal environment of a strata building, and we take pride in preventing and overcoming challenges so that one’s home remains a source of comfort, rather than stress.
In serving over 4000 strata corporations and property managers in all types of developments, we help them maintain a mutually beneficial balance of residential and commercial interests.
40-unit residential strata corporation
- Conversion of underutilized common property into income-producing strata lot
278-unit residential strata corporation
- Successful counsel in a decision approving resolution to raise funds by special levy for re-piping of three buildings without first obtaining a ¾ vote litigation authorization
56-unit residential strata corporation
- Successful counsel in a decision appointing an administrator, which is the foundation case that sets out the factors to be considered in order for the court to make such an appointment
No matter the type of strata corporation, our group has the depth and flexibility that enables us to provide cost-effective solutions to legal issues of all sizes and complexities.
- Bylaw reviews and drafting
- Bylaw enforcement: levying fines, council hearings, evictions of owners and tenants
- Contract reviews and drafting: employment, construction, strata management and other various contracts with service providers
- Resolution drafting
- Attendance at annual and special general meetings
- Collections: fees, fines, special levies, deductibles and other chargebacks
- Lien enforcement
- Forced sales of strata lots
- Appointments of administrators
- Responding to Human Rights Code Complaints
- Arbitration under the Strata Property Act
- Amendments to strata plans
- Amalgamations and winding up of strata corporations
- Conversion of common property to strata lot
- Establishment of strata corporation sections
- Develop privacy policies and respond to PIPA complaints
- Court orders to raise special levies
- Review of cell tower/communications agreements
- Changes in designation of parking stalls and storage lockers
- Review of cost sharing agreements for strata amenities
- Review and interpretation of statutory rights of way
- Review of crane swing agreements
- Review of shoring and underpinning agreements
We are contributors to the development and practice of strata law in BC. Our lawyers have been appointed to strata property law reform committees, edited and authored the CLEBC Strata Property Practice Manual and the legal update to the BC re-licensing course for strata managers, as well as written numerous articles for industry magazines including the CHOA Journal, Canadian Property Management, CCI Review and the PAMA Newsletter. We are proud to help shape legislation and the application of it, which affords us the knowledge base to be pre-emptive and protective for our clients.
We are particularly innovative when it comes to alternative fee structures. We understand the high volume of issues that can arise for strata corporations and have pioneered unique lawyer-client relationships, such as retainers that provide unlimited access to legal advice on day-to-day governance issues.
Our advice is proactive and allows us to prevent problems. We also have the skill and experience necessary to get any unexpected difficulties back under control for the benefit of the strata community. Our goal is to make strata buildings more harmonious places to live and work.