Business succession is how owners ensure the smooth transition of their business, protect their legacy and provide financial security for the future. After years of hard work in establishing and building their business, all owners must eventually plan for a transition of ownership. Our priority during this time of change is to help our clients obtain the maximum value.
Owners of a manufacturing business
- Sale to a multinational strategic buyer
Owners of an importer and supplier of natural resource-based products
- Sale to its existing management team
Owners of an environmental engineering firm
- Acquisition of the business by a large public company
Over the past 20 years, we have helped hundreds of owners successfully transition their businesses, representing a wide spectrum of companies, both large and small.
- Sale of a business to a third party, management or to children
- Corporate reorganizations so as to minimize the tax impact of transition
- Confidentiality agreements, letters of intent, offers to purchase, share and asset purchase and sale agreements, escrow agreements, assignment agreements, non-compete, non-solicit and other restrictive covenant agreements, earn-in agreements, loan agreements, vendor take-back loan agreements, consulting agreements, indemnity agreements, guarantees, employment agreements and other transaction related commercial agreements
- Labour and employment issues
- Intellectual property issues
- Regulatory and governmental consents, including those required under the Competition Act and Investment Canada Act
- Consents and assignments for lenders, landlords, customers, suppliers and other third-party stakeholders
We ensure that every succession plan is tailored to meet the specific needs of each client, because we recognize that each business has its own unique set of circumstances. Our team leverages our extensive experience to bring inventive and unique solutions, taking the time to understand each diverse client’s particular business and goals.
We also leverage our network of finance and business advisory professionals to protect our clients before, during and after the succession of their business, working collaboratively with other advisors, such as accountants and tax professionals, to ensure that our clients receive complete advice for all aspects of the transaction.
When owners must inevitably make the decision to transition out of their business, they need to know that they are properly protected. We make it our priority to aggressively pursue our clients’ best interests so that they feel comfortable and confident knowing that nothing was left to chance.