From defending diverse tort-based litigation to advising airlines, product manufacturers, operators, and overhaul/repair facilities, Brian Poston has an insightful understanding of litigation and risk management with a particular emphasis on aviation and the aerospace industry. With over 20 years of experience, Brian advises insurers and their insureds on a wide range of operational and risk management issues, negligence, product liability, regulatory and coverage disputes.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Brian spent 12 years as a reserve officer in the Royal Canadian Air Force, achieving the rank of Captain. This experience fostered an applied understanding of his clients’ perspectives, enabling Brian to craft legal strategies that achieve practical and effective results.
- Successfully pursued a subrogated claim against a US heavy lift helicopter manufacturer in relation to transmission and input freewheel unit design.
- Successfully pursued a subrogated claim against a multi-national corporation in relation to unauthorized and negligent fuel control unit modification.
- Successfully pursued a subrogated claim against a US based repair facility in relation to negligent repair of a tail rotor quill assembly.
When working with his clients, Brian’s strategic advice and decisions are not based only on legal principles, but also on their risk tolerance and the business objectives they wish to achieve. Acting as a trusted advisor, he never loses sight of the end goal no matter what the challenges of litigation may present.
Brian’s ability to communicate not only as a lawyer and business advisor, but as a fellow industry professional, is often what draws his clients in. He is highly sought-after by companies for his specialized insight and unique perspective gained from his unique upbringing in the north as well as his years of service to both the aviation and legal communities.
|Tort litigation||Insurance defence and multi-party litigation|
|Product liability defence||Subrogated claims|
|Coverage advice and disputes||Regulatory compliance and administrative tribunals|
|Class action defence||Contractual disputes|
|Underwriting advice, policy wording and development||Mediation|
Prior to joining Clark Wilson, Brian was the Managing Partner at another Vancouver law firm. His leadership extends far beyond the firms in which he works, volunteering his time with several aviation-related and legal industry organizations as well as the local community.
Raised in Canada’s arctic, Brian was exposed to the world of aviation and those who service it at a young age. His appreciation for the people who service the north in all sectors of society and the environment in which they work has continued into his adult life and has greatly influenced Brian’s professional career.
Awards & Distinctions
- Canadian Forces' Decoration (CD)
- Litigation Counsel of America, inducted as a Fellow, 2021
- Best Lawyers® in Canada
- Aviation Lawyer of the Year, 2023
- Aviation, 2020 - 2024
- Insurance Law, 2022 - 2024
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory®
- Leading Aviation Lawyer, 2015 - 2023
- Repeatedly Recommended Lawyer, Aviation (Regulation & Liability), 2022 - 2023
- Consistently Recommended, 2015 - 2021
- Who's Who Legal
- Global Leader for Transport - Contentious Aviation, 2022
- Leading Aviation Lawyer in Canada, 2019 - 2022
- National Leader for Transport Aviation, 2021