Our Information Technology group provides strategic legal advice to technology-based businesses and to other businesses that are acquiring (through licenses or otherwise) technology-based goods and services. Our primary focus is to help clients execute their business strategies so that they can achieve their long-term objectives.
Our diverse range of clients includes global leaders in technology, online services, digital media, healthcare, financial services and social media as well as all manner of businesses that develop or even just use technology and intellectual property assets in their operations.
External legal counsel to leading health care service providers
- Legal advisors on numerous projects relating to the procurement of enterprise software and hardware solutions for leading health care service providers
External legal counsel for enterprise software procurement for post-secondary institution
- Legal advisors on a multi-year project relating to the procurement of enterprise software solution for well-known Canadian post-secondary institution
Counsel for complex automated passport control solution project
- Support the development and distribution of an automated passport control solution, addressing a wide range of procurement, technology, security, commercial, and intellectual property issues in various jurisdictions
We provide advice and guidance on the identification, protection, maintenance and enforcement of our clients’ valuable intellectual property assets, commercialization of those assets, licensing, outsourcing, privacy, anti-spam, contests, social media, advertising, marketing and distribution matters.
Our depth of commercial experience and dedication to client service allows us to assemble the right lawyers, paralegals and other professional staff to provide the most effective and targeted advice possible.
- Intellectual Property
- We work with our clients to develop and implement strategies designed to identify, protect, maintain, enforce and otherwise maximize their valuable intellectual property assets. We assist in obtaining copyright, trademark, domain name and industrial design registrations, as well as the enforcement of those and other unregistered rights, such as those arising out of trade secrets
- We assist our clients in their commercialization of their valuable technology-based assets, including the negotiation of development, license and distribution arrangements
- Licensing and support of software, technology and related services, Software as a Service (SaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS) agreements, Open Source and Creative Commons licenses, bundling agreements, Application Service Provider (ASP) agreements
- Advising on procurement and outsourcing of technology services, including large, complex software, hardware and services implementation projects, co-location and hosting agreements
- Privacy policies and reviewing practices around the collection, use and disclosure of personal information and security of data, to ensure compliance with Federal and Provincial privacy legislation
- Review of proposed online and electronic marketing strategies to ensure compliance with Canada’s anti-spam (CASL) legislation
- Review of contest rules to ensure compliance with applicable Federal and Provincial laws
- Website and Social Media
- Advertising and Marketing
- Clearance of prospective brands and advertising copy and minimum advertised price (MAP) policies
- Product and software distribution, sales representative, marketing finder’s fee and related agreements, manufacturing and supply agreements, fulfillment and warehousing agreements
- Associated Services
- Technology-based businesses typically have an array of other legal issues that we can assist with. We provide a full range of legal services to these businesses such as advice on equity and debt financing, corporate structuring, mergers and acquisitions, taxation, employment, immigration, competition, leasing and other general commercial matters