The value of intellectual property rights to businesses continues to increase, whether represented by branding, inventions, software code, product designs, social media campaigns, secret formulas or the like. We offer cost-effective legal services tailored to maximize our clients’ valuable intellectual property assets.
Our diverse range of clients includes global leaders in technology, online services, financial services and social media, as well as all manner of businesses that develop or even just use intellectual property in their operations or hold significant intellectual property assets.
Trademark counsel for world’s leading search engine services provider
- Conduct all aspects of Canadian trademark clearance, filing, registration, maintenance and enforcement of trademark rights for the world’s leading search engine services provider. Additionally provide strategic domain-name related services
Trademark counsel for world’s leading online retailer
- Conduct all aspects of Canadian trademark clearance, filing, registration, maintenance, and enforcement of trademark rights for the world’s leading online retailer. Additionally provide strategic international portfolio advice, copyright advice, and domain-name related services
Advisor to high-profile mobile handset manufacturer
- Assist with Canadian trademark clearance, filing, registration, maintenance, and enforcement for leading manufacturer of mobile handsets and virtual reality displays
- We assist clients in a wide range of industries to identify, register and maintain their copyright, trademark, domain name and industrial design rights locally, nationally and internationally. We also perform clearance/due diligence searches to identify where prior rights may be affected. Where registration is not possible, for example with trade secrets, we advise on strategies to protect and maintain the value of such assets
- Where another party violates intellectual property rights, we assist clients to quickly and effectively obtain a favourable resolution, using both the traditional court system and other alternative dispute resolution methods
- We assist in contractual matters related to the commercialization of intellectual property including technology transfer or sharing agreements, license agreements, website terms and conditions of use, open source and creative commons licenses, franchise agreements, purchase and sale of businesses involving intellectual property assets and employment, contractor and non-competition agreements
- We perform intellectual property audits, which involves taking inventory of a business’s intellectual property assets, detecting weaknesses and advising on strategies to properly identify, protect, maintain, enforce and exploit those assets
- Associated Services
- The intellectual property aspects of a business are typically tied to other commercial legal issues. We provide a full range of legal services to businesses with intellectual property assets such as advice on outsourcing and procurement, competition, advertising and marketing, privacy, anti-spam, contests, equity and debt financing, corporate structuring, mergers and acquisitions, taxation, employment, immigration, leasing and other general commercial matters