Michal is a trusted, strategic advisor. He appreciates that only by understanding his clients can one truly help achieve their goals.
Michal is client-centered because he’s been in our clients’ shoes. He was an in-house counsel for almost six years at UBC. He knows the value of responsiveness and efficiency and providing clear, actionable advice on time and on budget. As a Partner at Clark Wilson, Michal is able to draw on the expertise of the firm’s cross-disciplinary teams to connect clients with the people, resources and solutions they need to succeed. This results in unparalleled post-secondary community knowledge coupled with top-tier legal advice.
- Provided advice on the interpretation of the Copyright Act in classrooms, research labs, and libraries across Canada.
- Worked extensively with national and institutional counsel on the development of copyright-aware policies and procedures.
- Coordinated a series of working groups with counsel and copyright officers from across Canada to research and draft policy positions on Copyright Act reform.
- Drafted and negotiated various contracts between institutions regarding research, student placements, and the delivery of education.
- Drafted and negotiated various contracts between institutions and commercial entities for a range of services, partnerships, and collaborations.
Governance and Regulatory
- Provided advice on the interpretation of various provisions of the University Act and the College and Institute Act.
- Worked with the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training and the Attorney General to secure ministerial orders for various specific disposals of land, and unique arrangements to facilitate large scale development of the university’s lands.
- Led the review and development of major institutional policies, such as conflict of interest, intellectual property, and capital projects.
Michal’s ties to the post-secondary community in BC, as well as in the rest of Canada, provide him context and perspectives on best practices and trends, coming from both institutions and Provincial regulators. As a sought-after authority in his field, Michal leads industry initiatives. When there are new developments in the law, he is frequently one of the first to share his insights and one of the few who offers their time, expertise and strategic network to bring the higher learning community together and find an effective way forward.
Michal is passionate about finding collaborative and economical solutions. He proactively seeks out opportunities for groups of institutions to engage in joint projects that share the costs and benefits of legal services.
|Negotiating large, multi-faceted projects including IT outsourcing and long-term partnerships||Advising on Board governance including policy development and advice regarding bicameral governance|
|Drafting and negotiating various commercial agreements||Intellectual Property, including Copyright advisory services and policy drafting|
|Public sector procurement||Real estate development, licensing and leasing|
|Privacy, including policies, contract and compliance issues|
Michal has developed many strong relationships through his deep commitment to advancing the higher learning sector. He is the Chair of the Langara College Board, and serves on the Board of Great Northern Way Campus Ltd. (trustee of the Great Northern Way Campus Trust). Michal is also the current President of the Canadian Association of University Solicitors.
These experiences have provided him with an appreciation for the challenges faced by boards, executives, faculty and staff, and how to best advise them.
Unafraid to embark into unchartered terrain with clients, Michal is passionate about presenting legal advice in a way that’s easily understood and put into action. He sifts through the “legalese”, learning the background and context so as to help his clients find creative solutions and hidden opportunities.
Awards & Distinctions
- Best Lawyers in Canada, Technology Law, 2020-2022