Michal is a trusted, strategic advisor. He appreciates that only by understanding his clients can one truly help achieve their goals.
Michal is client-centered because he’s been in our clients’ shoes. He was an in-house counsel for almost six years at UBC. He knows the value of responsiveness and efficiency and providing clear, actionable advice on time and on budget. As a Partner at Clark Wilson, Michal is able to draw on the expertise of the firm’s cross-disciplinary teams to connect clients with the people, resources and solutions they need to succeed. This results in unparalleled post-secondary community knowledge coupled with top-tier legal advice.
- Worked with several institutions to consider and implement corporate structures to facilitate the development of excess campus lands.
- Worked with several institutions on land licensing, leasing, and purchase and sale transactions.
- Worked extensively with UBC Campus and Community Planning, the UBC executive and UBC Properties Trust on governance, land development and regulation, and strategic initiatives regarding on-campus housing.
- Advised on procurement laws, policies, and practices.
- Drafted various forms of procurement solicitation documents, in a variety of contexts including construction and services.
- Managed and negotiated complex long-term relationships with various international IT providers such as Workday, Salesforce, Oracle, and Canvas.
- Provided advice on compliance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act in the context of institutional IT infrastructure.
Michal’s ties to the post-secondary community in BC, as well as in the rest of Canada, provide him context and perspectives on best practices and trends, coming from both institutions and Provincial regulators. As a sought-after authority in his field, Michal leads industry initiatives. When there are new developments in the law, he is frequently one of the first to share his insights and one of the few who offers their time, expertise and strategic network to bring the higher learning community together and find an effective way forward.
Michal is passionate about finding collaborative and economical solutions. He proactively seeks out opportunities for groups of institutions to engage in joint projects that share the costs and benefits of legal services.
|Negotiating large, multi-faceted projects including IT outsourcing and long-term partnerships||Advising on Board governance including policy development and advice regarding bicameral governance|
|Drafting and negotiating various commercial agreements||Copyright|
|Public sector procurement||Property development, licensing and leasing|
|Privacy, including policies, contract and compliance issues|
Michal has developed many strong relationships through his deep commitment to advancing the higher learning sector. He is the First Vice-Chair of the Langara College Board, serves on the Board of the UBC Staff Pension Plan, and is a member of the Kwantlen Polytechnic University Product Design Advisory Panel. Michal is also the Second Vice President of the Canadian Association of University Solicitors and will be responsible for the academic program of the annual conference in 2020.
These experiences have provided him with an appreciation for the challenges faced by boards, executives, faculty and staff, and how to best advise them.
Unafraid to embark into unchartered terrain with clients, Michal is passionate about presenting legal advice in a way that’s easily understood and put into action. He sifts through the “legalese”, learning the background and context so as to help his clients find creative solutions and hidden opportunities.Download PDF