New technologies emerge with remarkable speed, evolve with incredible unpredictability and have the potential to be “the next big thing”. Our Technology and Emerging Companies Group helps innovative companies grow and scale their businesses.
We work with entrepreneurs, start-ups and established companies through their business life cycle, from creation to exit. We have represented Fortune 500 companies and multinational corporations on high-profile transactions that span across the globe. We specialize in raising venture capital, licensing, contract negotiations for technology companies and creating access to new markets. Our lawyers have expertise in technology M&A transactions, as well as guiding clients through successful IPOs and RTOs, which has resulted in recognition by Best Lawyers in Canada as leaders in Technology Law.
Our multi-disciplinary approach gives us the ability to address a range of business needs. In conjunction with our Intellectual Property, Information Technology, Securities, Employment, Immigration, Commercial Real Estate and Tax Groups, we integrate our specialized teams to execute on matters efficiently.
With several lawyers qualified to practice law in various jurisdictions throughout the United States, we help companies from all over the world with the negotiation, structuring and execution of cross-border investments. Our team is particularly experienced with national, cross-border and other multi-jurisdictional transactions.
- M&A, including corporate structuring and cross-border transactions
- Initial public offerings, reverse take-overs and stock exchange listings
- Venture Capital and Strategic investor services, including equity and debt financing transactions
- Buyouts, acquisitions, investments, divestitures and other monetization events
- Purchases and sales of assets, technology and businesses
- Intellectual property strategies, including patent, copyright, trademark and trade secret protection
- Corporate governance and employment matters
- Designing compensation structures and equity incentive plans
- Licensing and Commercial agreements in various sectors including software and IT (including SaaS, PaaS, IaaS), wireless and telecom (ICT), digital media, clean tech, payment processing, financial services, health care delivery, social media and gaming
- Outsourcing/Procurement of complex technology solutions
- Website, contesting and social media issues
- Regulatory matters, including Privacy, Anti-Spam (CASL), and marketing to children
Our firm is also part of SCG Legal, a global network of more than 140 independent law firms across all Canadian provinces and U.S. states, as well as major centres of commerce across the world. With access to nearly 12,000 lawyers, we can connect BC technology leaders with qualified guidance and representation for complex international and multi-jurisdictional legal matters.