New technologies emerge with remarkable speed, evolve with incredible unpredictability and have the potential to be “the next big thing”. For a company to bring these innovations to market, they need advisers who can find and resolve the intertwining legal issues which challenge their growth.
Our Technology Transactions group works with entrepreneurs, start-ups and established companies through their business life cycle, from creation to exit. Our industry knowledge and extensive network in the investment and technology sectors connects our clients to unique and lucrative opportunities that help achieve growth.
We have represented Fortune 500 companies and multinational corporations on high-profile transactions which span across the globe. We specialize in raising venture capital, licensing, contract negotiations for technology companies and creating access to new markets. Our group has developed a particular expertise in technology M+A transactions, as well as guiding clients through successful IPOs and RTOs. As a result of such experience, our lawyers have been recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada as leaders in Technology Law.
Our multi-disciplinary approach gives us the ability to address a range of business needs. In conjunction with our Intellectual Property, Information Technology, Securities, Employment, Immigration, Commercial Real Estate and Tax Groups, we integrate our specialized teams to execute on matters efficiently. Several members of our group are qualified to practice law in other jurisdictions – including the United States. This allows us to assist in the negotiation, structuring and execution of cross-border investments.
The entrepreneurial spirit of our clients is mirrored in our work. With a forward-thinking and pragmatic approach, we help them satisfy their business goals.
- M&A, including corporate structuring and cross-border transactions
- Initial public offerings, reverse take-overs and stock exchange listings
- Venture Capital and Strategic investor services, including equity and debt financing transactions
- Buyouts, acquisitions, investments, divestitures and other monetization events
- Purchases and sales of assets, technology and businesses
- Intellectual property strategies, including patent, copyright, trademark and trade secret protection
- Corporate governance and employment matters
- Designing compensation structures and equity incentive plans
- Licensing and Commercial agreements in various sectors including software and IT (including SaaS, PaaS, IaaS), wireless and telecom (ICT), digital media, clean tech, payment processing, financial services, health care delivery, social media and gaming
- Outsourcing/Procurement of complex technology solutions
- Website, contesting and social media issues
- Regulatory matters, including Privacy, Anti-Spam (CASL), and marketing to children