Nafeesa helps our clients take their businesses to the next level and achieve positive results. Her ability to strategize and project manage complex transactions while handling the personalities and stakeholders involved serves our clients well–it comes down to her skills and ability to listen to clients and turn that understanding into positive outcomes for our clients.
Private placement financings
- $13.7 million brokered unit private placement for TSX Venture Exchange listed company
- $13 million brokered subscription receipt private placement for TSX Venture Exchange listed company
- $7 million brokered special warrant financing for private company
- $7 million non-brokered secured convertible debenture financing for TSX Venture Exchange listed company
Financings for start-ups
- Represented an online gaming start-up through their Series A and Series B financings and in negotiating an investment and joint venture with a private equity fund
- Advised start-ups on founders’ investments and friends and family financings
Initial public offerings
- $10 million initial public offering and listing on the TSX Venture Exchange of a Tier 1 Mining Issuer
- $7 million special warrant financing and the follow-on initial public offering on the exercise of these special warrants and listing on the TSX Venture Exchange of a Tier 2 Mining Issuer
Nafeesa protects our clients’ interest and investments over the course of transactions of all sizes.
|Private placement financings of equity securities, debt and convertible debt||Venture capital and private equity investments|
|Initial public offerings||Purchase and sale of businesses, assets and technology|
|Business combination transactions, including plans of arrangement, reverse takeovers, mergers and acquisitions, and share exchange transactions||Joint ventures|
|Corporate reorganizations||Proxy-battles and hostile takeovers|
|Stock exchange listings on the Toronto Stock Exchange, TSX Venture Exchange, Canadian Securities Exchange, OTCQB and NYSE MKT||Purchase and sale of mineral property interests, mines, mills and the related assets|
|Going-private transactions for public companies||General corporate and commercial matters|
|Transaction structuring||Regulatory compliance|
|Corporate governance||Continuous disclosure requirements|
In addition to being a technically strong lawyer, a great part of Nafeesa’s skill lies in asking the right questions, knowing how to illicit the key information from our clients to understand their motivations, challenges and priorities. This proficiency allows her to better serve, negotiate and advocate on their behalf and to work with our clients to accomplish their goals.
When our public and private company clients are faced with legal issues, Nafeesa works with them and their other advisers as needed to develop practical solutions that align with our clients’ goals and business strategies.
Respecting our clients for the creative risk takers that they are, Nafeesa safeguards their spirit of entrepreneurship with equally creative legal solutions that meet our clients’ practical business needs. Nafeesa knows the law and regulations explicitly, giving her the ability to be creative working within that framework to bring about progress and growth for our clients.
Coming from a family of entrepreneurs, Nafeesa understands the challenges that entrepreneurs face. From financing and staffing to idea generation and marketing, she sees it every day and has an appreciation for the day-to-day realities, priorities and opportunities inherent to entrepreneurship. This allows her to address client issues with urgency and from an experienced standpoint. She can identify risks, limit them and, to the extent possible, shield clients from liability.
Her aptitude for creating a positive impact extends beyond the business world and into the greater community. Nafeesa is active in her local community, and enjoys volunteering her time for community organizations and charities. Examples of her prior community leadership include:
- CBA Mentor to UBC law students
- Special Events Committee, Association of Women in Finance
- Co-Chair of the Ismaili Entrepreneurship National Conference, bringing together over 250 young professionals and entrepreneurs from across North America to share ideas and grow together
- Organizer of Community Citizenship Forums for the Institute of Canadian Citizenship
- Organizer of the Ismaili Walk which helped raise over $250K for the YWCA Metro Vancouver’s Cause We Care House
- Organizer of the Ismaili Walk for Women which helped raise $1M for the Women’s Health Research Institute at BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre Foundation
- Co-Chair of CIVIC National Volunteer Initiative, engaging over 2,000 youth and young professionals across Canada to participate in local community volunteer initiatives including shoreline cleanup, graffiti cleanup, building community shelters and parks cleanup
- Organizer of a national communications drive for youth engagement in the 2008 federal election
Her project management skills give Nafeesa the insight to manage complex transactions, where there are many moving pieces. She knows how to push things forward, seeing the big picture without compromising on the quality of the details.
Nafeesa grew up in an environment where ethics and values were ingrained at an early age. She brings those principles of hard work and dedication into her practice, helping companies go from theory to product to growth to success.Download PDF