Experience. Efficiency. Enthusiasm. Three qualities that a business needs to succeed. Three qualities that Bernard personifies and applies to resolving our clients’ legal issues over 35+ years of practicing law. His experience lends itself to agility and creativity in developing cost-effective solutions that advance businesses.
- Developed unique financing to raise USD $90 million to build a wood fiber plant
Summus Solutions Corp.
- Listed first-ever Dutch incorporated company on TSX-Exchange
Amarillo Resources Corp.
- Created unusual Gold-linked loan agreement where lenders wanted returns based on the price of gold but not the gold itself
Bernard is proud to work where possible with companies that aim to achieve a triple-bottom line—profit, environmental benefits and betterment of society—to create better business value. He helps all the clients that he works with access and compete in the global market, leading them through complex multi-jurisdictional ventures to drive growth, increase productivity and strengthen business.
|Mergers & acquisitions||Securities offerings|
|Securities regulation||Corporate governance|
|Initial public offerings||Corporate law|
|Joint ventures||Stock exchange practice|
|Cross-border transactions||Director liability protection|
|Seed financings||Listing and trading on the TSX, TSX-V, CSE, OTCQB, OTCQX and NYSE|
|Public company regulatory compliance|
To achieve these objectives, Bernard draws on his extensive legal and business experience to quickly identify issues, distill choices and make strong recommendations to move our clients’ business forward.
Bernard is at the forefront of industry trends and client needs. For example, he:
- Pioneered a field of legal expertise by spearheading BC’s first large-scale US law practice group. This is particularly beneficial to our clients because it provides Canadian and other non-US companies easier access to US capital markets and vice versa
- Is recognized by media as a knowledgeable and authoritative voice in the securities field. He is a regular contributor to various forms of media who seek his insights when reporting on the issues that affect the securities industry and its participants
- Lectures on securities law, directors’ duties and other securities-related topics on TSX panels and other forums
- Invited to participate in policy-formulating discussions with regulators
Bernard is a recipient of the distinction of Queen’s Counsel, an honour bestowed on 5% or fewer of practicing lawyers who are recognized for their contributions to their profession and to society. Bernard recognizes that his profession gives him a unique opportunity to contribute to Canadian values, such as tolerance and acceptance, by amalgamating his legal practice with social philanthropy. He is proud to contribute to esteemed organizations within the Vancouver and Canadian political, Jewish and general charitable communities, including, among others:
- Jewish Federation of Greater Vancouver
- Louis Brier Jewish Aged Foundation
- Cystic Fibrosis Canada
- Multiple Sclerosis Canada
- Heart and Stroke Foundation
- Parkinson’s Association of Canada
- Alzheimer’s Association of Canada
- United Way
- March of Dimes
Bernard’s work with these organizations over the years includes being a leader in advocating against racism and intolerance as well as in alleviating poverty. He uses his professional platform as a means to give back in ways that make a difference in the local and global communities to which he dedicates his practice. In 2012 Bernard was a recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal for his longstanding charitable work.
Bernard builds strong relationships, learns the needs of our clients and finds the best and most efficient solutions to grow their business.
Awards & Distinctions
- Best Lawyers: Securities Law , 2014-2017
- Queen’s Counsel, 2014
- Diamond Jubilee Medal, Queen Elizabeth II, 2012