Experience. Efficiency. Enthusiasm. Three qualities that a business needs to succeed. Three qualities that Bernard personifies and applies to resolve our clients’ legal issues. His 40+ years of experience lends itself to agility and creativity in developing cost-effective solutions that advance businesses.
WPD Pharmaceutical Corp.
- Assisting Polish biotech research company to go public in Canada
- Developed unique financing to raise USD $90 million to build a wood fiber plant
Summus Solutions Corp.
- Listed first-ever Dutch incorporated company on TSX-Exchange
Bernard is proud to work where possible with companies that aim to achieve a triple-bottom-line — profit, environmental benefits and betterment of society—to create better business value. He helps all the clients that he works with access and compete in the global market, leading them through complex multi-jurisdictional ventures to drive growth, increase productivity and strengthen business.
|Mergers & acquisitions||Securities offerings|
|Securities regulation||Corporate governance|
|Initial public offerings||Corporate law|
|Joint ventures||Stock exchange practice|
|Cross-border transactions||Director liability protection|
|Seed financings||Listing and trading on the TSX, TSX-V, CSE, NYSE and the OTC Markets|
|Public company regulatory compliance|
To achieve these objectives, Bernard draws on his extensive legal and business experience to quickly identify issues, distill choices and make strong recommendations to move our clients’ business forward.
Bernard is at the forefront of industry trends and client needs. For example, he:
- Pioneered a field of legal expertise by spearheading BC’s first large-scale US law practice group. This is particularly beneficial to our clients because it provides Canadian and other non-US companies easier access to US capital markets and vice versa.
- Is recognized by media as a knowledgeable and authoritative voice in the securities field. He is a regular contributor to various forms of media who seek his insights when reporting on the issues that affect the securities industry and its participants.
- Lectures on securities law, directors’ duties and other securities-related topics on stock exchange panels and other forums.
- Invited to participate in policy-formulating discussions with regulators.
Bernard is a recipient of the distinction of Queen’s Counsel, an honour bestowed on 5% or fewer of practicing lawyers who are recognized for their contributions to their profession and to society. Bernard recognizes that his profession gives him a unique opportunity to contribute to Canadian values, such as tolerance and acceptance, by amalgamating his legal practice with social philanthropy. He is proud to contribute to esteemed organizations within the Vancouver and Canadian political, Jewish and general charitable communities, including, among others:
- Jewish Federation of Greater Vancouver
- Louis Brier Jewish Aged Foundation
- Cystic Fibrosis Canada
- Weinberg Residence
- Learning Buddies Network
Canadian Jewish Political Affairs Committee
Bernard’s work with these organizations over the years includes being a leader in advocating against racism and intolerance as well as in alleviating poverty and raising funds to increase the quality of life at a Vancouver seniors’ residence. He uses his professional platform as a means to give back in ways that make a difference in the local and global communities. In 2012, Bernard was a recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal for his longstanding charitable work.
Bernard builds strong relationships, learns the needs of our clients and finds the best and most efficient solutions to grow their business.
Awards & Distinctions
- Best Lawyers: Securities Law, 2014-2021
- Best Lawyers: Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2021
- Queen’s Counsel, 2014
- Diamond Jubilee Medal, Queen Elizabeth II, 2012